Is it really almost time to go in our attics to pull down those seasonal boxes? Whether you are
preparing to do this or just have straitening you may want to accomplish before your family
and friends arrive, here are a few tips to help keep you from causing yourself back pain:
- Use your leg muscles to lift/lower your self as opposed to just bending over. Bend at your knees not at your back.
- Pull in your belly button while lifting. This will help hold your pelvis in the proper position which will minimize strain on the spine. (Maintain this while lifting, carrying, and lowering)
- Lift close to your body. Your spine is more stable and strong.
- Know your limit! Carry lighter packages and make more trips.
- When in doubt ( too heavy or awkward) wait for help. The risk are not worth it and jeopardize setting you back with pain and immobility…. no one wants to make time for that!
We would all like to take a moment and wish everyone a safe and healthy beginning to our holiday seasons! By following the tips provided above, you can prevent a number of injuries before they even happen.